Im in Seattle this week spending some time with the family after the Thanksgiving holiday. My sister is graduating from her Ontological Coaching school this coming weekend, and when I got the invite I decided to stay an extra week instead of flying back to Cali… then back to Seattle… and then back to Cali… makes sense right? Anyways… being that I am usually the laziest person alive when I stay at my parents house (for some reason picking up a dish becomes a MASSIVE chore) I decided this morning that I needed a project. Something to keep me busy for the next week to prevent me from being the Seattle couch sloth that I am so easily transformed into when I am home. Thus came my idea for the 12 Days of Photo Christmas! Annnd it will by my own little way of pumping myself up for the holidays!
What is the 12 days of Photo Christmas? I’ve decided to create a blog post every day for the first 12 days of December. Each day I will showcase a gift idea that would be a good gift for anyone interested in photography. Im not just talking pros here… Im talking husbands, wives, friends, cousins, uncles, the dude/chick you have a mad crush on at the gym… anyone who likes to snap a photo or two, or 10,000! So keep an eye out, and maybe, just maybe, Ill help you find a perfect gift for a photographer in your life.
On the first day of photo christmas my true love gave to meeee…. A Canon Digital Rebel T2i!
Okay, I get this question alllll the time, “I want to buy a Digital SLR Camera, which one do you recommend?” I get it from moms, dads, husbands, wives, friends, everyone! ”I want to take better photos of my children!” ”I want to take better photos during my trip to Europe!” I want to take better photos of my ant farm!”… Whatever it is, there is a surging interest among the general population to take their camera gear to the next level, and every time I get that question I suggest buying a Canon Digital Rebel T2i… Hands down… best bang for your buck. This camera has literally twice the resolution, MUCH improved low light performance, and a million times better HD video of my first semi-pro camera from 5 years ago, all at 1/2 the price!!!… Need I say more? Thank you technology! Please keep in mind I am a lover of all things Canon… If you want a Nikon or Sony or something else, you might have to find another blog!
Whats so great about this camera? This thing packs a TON of great features packed into a very modest price. At $799 retail, it will be your new favorite weapon in the fight against bad photos.
Below are a few things that you will find when upgrading from a point and shoot to an entry level DSLR like the T2i.
- Faster focusing: Tired of that point and shoot missing candid moments because the dang thing wont focus? This camera will take care of that, no problemo
- 18 Megapixles: You can print HUGE prints for your living room if you like.. not only that… if you don’t have a fancy schmancy telephoto lens, take a photo at a wider angle, and then crop the edges down leaving only the portion of the image that is most interesting. 18 megapixles will leave plenty of information in the photo to allow you to do this!
- Creative modes make it easy: Dont know what an f-stop is? Not sure what settings you need to capture the majestic alps in Switzerland? This camera has a quick dial that uses the optimal settings for each type of scene you might find whether taking pictures of your kiddos at home or vacationing in Europe.
- Manual modes allow you to take control: If you know what an f-stop is, and you know how to use it, a DSLR like this one will give you full creative control of your camera. Time to experiment!
- Great high ISO performance: In short… allows you to take better photos when lighting conditions are not so good, say goodbye to blurry photos!
- Canon EF Lens Compatible: This camera will accept any Canon EF lens, from the little 18-55mm kit lens to the $6,000 500mm behemoth! It leaves you all the room you need to grow your gear collection
- Uses SD Cards: Yep, the same cards in your point and shoot will work in this one, and if you need more, SD cards are CHEAP!
- Full 1080P HD Video… let me say that again… FULL HD VIDEO! Now you dont have to have a separate video cam… create Hollywood style videos using those ohh so nice Canon lenses
Now, I must caution, having a fancy new camera will not make you, your hubby, your cousin or uncle, a fantastic photographer overnight, but it will allow you a bit more creative freedom over that $200 point and shoot, and with some practice you will surly see some improved results!